Some days are for leisurely strolls and some days are for quick sprints. Today’s one for the latter. This week is proving to be a trying week with lots of cake orders lined up and too little time. So no time for chit-chat. Just know that Matcha+Bananas+Caramel+Walnuts make for one hot orgy in your mouth – uhm… in a flavour sense.
Matcha Banana Caramelita Bars (Makes 1 9×9″ Square)
15g Matcha Powder
135g Rolled Oats
180g Brown Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
125g Butter, Melted
Salted Caramel Sauce, store bought or homemade
1 large Banana, sliced
25g Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C and line a 9×9″ baking tin.
- Mix flour, matcha powder, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and melted butter together until mixture comes together.
- Place 2/3 mixture into baking tin and press down to form a base.
- Pour a layer of salted caramel sauce over and level out. Top with sliced bananas and walnuts.
- Crumble remaining 1/3 of crumb mixture on top to cover, but don’t worry if there are gaps.
- Bake for 25-30min until golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow to cool. Chill overnight if possible before slicing.
To make these even naughtier, throw some dark chocolate chunks into the caramel-banana-walnut mix. I decided to practice some restraint but on hindsight, I should have just gone all out. Learn from my mistakes and enjoy these mouthful of flavour explosions cos they ain’t gonna last long!