Before the 12 days of Christmas is officially up. it’s time for some Peppermint Double Chocolate Chip Cookies!
I was so busy over the Christmas period that I didn’t manage to get round to making edible gifts for anyone. Since I had a small window of time just after, I decided to make some of these gorgeously crunchy cookies for a couple of friends and family in London – using my brother as carrier.
Of course, these cookies are great for any time of year and while I know that there are people who dislike peppermint because it reminds them of toothpaste, I LOVE peppermint. Actually, no. I love spearmint even more. At least where Mentos is concerned. I used to always choose spearmint over peppermint and spearmint tastes even more like toothpaste but in a good way. In any case, I don’t even think toothpaste tastes bad at all! Oh and if I didn’t opt for spearmint Mentos, my default under the ‘fruity’ ones would have to be the pink ones. No yellow lemony ones for me!
I digress. What I mean to say is peppermint’s great and even better with the deep notes of cocoa.
I have a confession to make though. This year, or last year rather (2017), was the first time I played around with Peppermint Extract. I’ve used fresh mint in cakes and mousses before, but never extract because I feared that it’d taste too artificial. The key I suppose, is to use extracts with restraint. That I did when I made my Peppermint Brownies as well as these cookies which were undoubtedly Cookie Monster approved!
Peppermint Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (Yields about 36 pcs)
100g Caster Sugar
120g Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
160g Plain Flour
20g Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
70g Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C and line baking trays.
- Cream butter with both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and peppermint extract. Mix well.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop, or a teaspoon if you don’t have a scoop, and scoop about 2-teaspoon sized dollops of dough onto lined trays. Place them interlocking and about an inch apart.
- Bake in oven for 22min, turning tray around halfway through.
- Allow to cool about 5min before removing onto cooling racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to a month – they’ll definitely be gone way before then though!
I’m assuming that most of us are back to the grind and the shininess of 2018 is already starting to wear off. But hey, I’m going to milk the just come-and-gone holidays for all its worth. After all, we waited a WHOLE year for it didn’t we? Might as well stretch it as long as I can… at least until today. 😛